Thursday, August 13, 2026

No more AI Art

 Andrew isn't loving all the AI art content, so if you're reading this, it's probably the end of that. I'm not sure yet if we're going back to AI-written content either. I think it's pretty concerning to have a bunch of AI-written slop on our website while trying to convince people to buy a book that doesn't have any AI slop in it. That mismatch feels kind of problematic. So that leaves written content like this: me and a computer, probably a bit of a rambly mess, maybe talking about the struggles of the craft.

While I don't use AI to write the book, I do sometimes consult it during edits. AI is actually pretty good at catching typos and that kind of thing. It doesn't seem able to help much with a developmental edit, but it's often good at picking up mistakes on a line level. That said, it won't really tell you how to fix the error, or it will, but take it with a grain of salt. It's decent at identifying issues, bad at fixing them. You probably need to do that part yourself.

Anyway, the point of this post was to explain how I'm stepping away from AI usage, not to explain how I still use it.

If there's content you'd like to see, more behind-the-scenes of the writing process, more lore from the world, more character backgrounds, leave a comment below and we'll see what we can do. I might even do a podcast episode on it if that sounds interesting.


2 comments:

  1. AI usage is a touchy subject for many people, and there are several different ways it can be used. The kind most people criticize is often called “AI slop” content created by giving AI a simple prompt, whether for an image or a paper, and then treating the first result as a finished product.

    For the most part, I agree with the criticism of that kind of use. I use AI a lot myself. Right now, I’m using it to help me develop a tabletop skirmish game. I use it to create rough visual concepts and reword rules so they’re easier for other people to understand. To me, AI should be a tool that works alongside human creativity, not a factory machine where you press a button and walk away.

    I’m pro AI, but I also understand where people’s concerns come from. Jobs are being lost because some companies would rather pay one or two people to operate AI than employ a team of 20 or 30 workers. That may save the company hundreds of thousands of dollars, but it comes at a very real cost to the people who lose their livelihoods.

    Regarding this post, though, I think “No More AI Art” is too broad. Context matters. If someone is posting low effort AI slop and presenting it as a finished product, then yes, I agree that’s a problem. However, if AI art is being used as a rough draft or concept piece to show how a scene, character, or idea should look, I think that’s perfectly reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with and support your stepping away from AI. I hope that you still treat it as a tool that can be used to support your writing, but in a world where human authenticity is being called more into question, maybe a few typos are a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

No more AI Art

  Andrew isn't loving all the AI art content, so if you're reading this, it's probably the end of that. I'm not sure yet if ...